Sunday, February 19, 2012

Encountering "Greens"



On a warm April evening, I tasted them. Greens. 

            “Girl, whatchu mean you ain’t never had no greens before?” Diffini’s laughter echoed out the car windows, filling the neighborhood.
            “Our mom cooked a whole big meal last night, you come on over and get you some soul food, see what it’s all about.” Lydia grinned invitingly.
            Diffini and Lydia were sisters and the three of us ran track together in high school. Every day after practice I would drop them off on my way home. We never had trouble keeping conversation in the car, but that day the conversation led me into unknown territory.
My plate was steaming and full of unfamiliar food. Well, I was familiar with the food, but had never actually tasted any of it first-hand. I couldn’t help but stare at the mess of peppered cabbage, sausage and collard greens sitting on my plate and wonder what I had gotten myself into.
By no means am I a picky eater, but this plate was full of vegetables. Not just any vegetables, but warm, mushy, salt and pepper covered, liquid infused vegetables. Smells of butter, ham and oil infiltrated my nose with an unfamiliar scent. I twisted my fork in my hand timidly, preparing myself for the moment of attack on this plate.
My hesitance in trying the food amused my audience. I looked up from the food I had been analyzing to see Diffini, Lydia and their mom with big, toothy grins waiting in anticipation for my verdict on soul food.
I took a small bite of the cabbage and, not wanting to be rude, prepared for another. Mentally I was prepared to try another bite, but something strange happened. I didn’t have to prepare myself, the mixture of butter and pepper actually propelled my hand toward the cabbage for another bite. I actually liked it. The cabbage was gone and I inhaled the sausage by the real test before me, the greens, remained.
Trying to put off the green mush, I asked about how collard greens were made. I was quickly informed that no one calls them “collard” greens and I should never, ever say this again. “Greens” were on my plate and I need to dive in and taste them. The first few bites I tried not to breath out of my nose so I could mask the taste, but I failed on the third bite and got a big taste of ham flavored, oiled-up, crushed pepper flaked greens. I felt the smile inching across my face and heard the laughter of the three before me as Mrs. J said, “Miss Katie I knew you was gonna like it. All you had to do was let yourself taste it.”
I suppose that’s the truth for most dishes people may not be used to. All we have to do is let ourselves taste it because that’s the only way to know if we really like it. I ate every last piece on my plate and as Dif and Lydia started laughing at my encounter with soul food, Mrs. J just smiled. “You welcome to come over for dinner any time baby. I’m glad you liked it.”

No comments:

Post a Comment