Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Elements of Persuasion


               Watching Food Inc. drew my attention to several varying facets of the food industry. It was interesting to see the production of corn and the stages it follows, seeing feed farms, traditional farmers, industrial chicken farmers and how these jobs have affected lifestyle. The effects of these jobs impact not only those employed and their employers, but the communities and final consumers of the products as well.
                 Although I enjoy the opportunity to view different aspects and production stages, films like these take a lot to persuade me. The stories were interesting, but they only represent a small number of individuals involved and give a limited scope on the situation. Filming feed farms and the processes a traditional farmer goes through to raise animals or crops is informative, but these processes are sure to vary nationwide. Listening to Tyson’s chicken farmers discuss their “business” and the impact of that business on the community did intrigue me. I was interested in hearing more about these mega-industries promising hopes of prosperity to struggling communities and how by purchasing these products, we as a nation are aiding the further impoverishment of communities like the one in Kentucky.
                Films like these are informative on a limited scope. No film actually persuades me to make lifestyle changes, but elements of the film interest me enough to pick up books or articles related to the topic. Books such as “The Omnivore’s Dilemma” offer information on this industry with historical facts, trends and changes to back the argument presented. Similarly, lectures have the ability to interest me enough to research the topic further on my own. The most persuasive elements on controversial topics, at least for me, are ones in the written form. Written arguments with facts, scenarios and history to make the argument credible give me the opportunity to better understand the issue and formulate my own opinions on the topic rather than have elements of film designed to persuade my opinion in a particular way.

No comments:

Post a Comment