Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Grandma's Potato Soup


            “What was your favorite thing mom used to make when we were growing up as kids?” I asked my brother and sister recently. “I’m really trying to remember my favorites and have mom teach me how to make them while I’m home for break.”
            Spaghetti, roast with carrots and potatoes, vegetable beef soup, and breakfast casserole were all recalled, but one dish in particular stood out.
            Potato soup, the three of has had decided, was my mom’s signature. Not the first dish on anyone’s mind, but once it was mentioned the response was undeniable. Each of our eyes began to gleam and comments of “I love that stuff,” or “I totally forgot about that! Mom hasn’t made that in awhile!” filled the room.
            My brother-in-law made a disgusted face and questions how we could enjoy something so bland. To us, though, this dish was anything but bland. The dish was history and represented home, our childhood, our grandmother and a tradition.



            First you peel about a pound of potatoes and quarter the potatoes. Cut one pound of sausage into eight links. Place the potatoes and sausage into a large pot and fill to the top with hot water. Bring potatoes and sausage to a boil then turn heat to medium. Whisk one egg in a small bowl and set to the side.
When the sausage links are ready they will expand (and possible have a slight split somewhere on the side) and rise to the top of the pan. Take the sausage links out and place to the side. Mash potatoes into the mixture until a mush-like, soupy formation is made. Whisk egg into mixture until bits of it can be seen throughout the mixture. Put sausage back in the pan and let simmer until ready to eat. Add shredded cheese, salt and pepper as desired.


            “Now this is just like my mom used to make it when I was growing up,” my mom told me with a smile.
            I thought to myself, “good, because I want to be able to teach my kids how to make this soup ‘just like my mom did when I was growing up.’

No comments:

Post a Comment